Repairing and diagnostics of automatic gear boxes
Repairing and diagnostics of automatic gear boxes requires a thorough knowledge of their construction and operation. Correct diagnostics of faults and repairing them comes with years of professional experience. If you think your gear box isn't working correctly or you want to avoid costly repairs after buying a used vehicle with an automatic gear box, then come and see us at EXTREME CAR SERVICE LTD. Most common faults can be picked up quite early before they become costly to repair, especially in comparison to paying for a new gear box or changing its vital elements. It is worth remembering, that in both manual and automatic gear boxes each element is in a closed cover. Mechanical faults of any of them can cause a chain reaction and damage other elements, even with the smallest of filings. For the same reason it is very important to regularly change the oil in your gear box, as its lack or overuse can cause elements to create high temperatures and produce metal filings that will damage other parts.
Here are some o the most common symptoms of gear box faults:
1. Gears pop out - when you put it in gear and then the gear stick pops out and goes back to neutral position or goes back to the previous gear by itself or when you start driving.
2. Grating sound - even the slightest rubbing of racks which are not in their correct position can signal that the gear box needs regulating or that the toothed wheel needs changing.
3. Working the gear stick is too hard or it appears too loose - could signal that the oil is overused or was incorrectly chosen. The wrong type of oil means that elements inside the gear box don't get regularly lubricated. Wrong oil doesn't get to the bearings and other elements easily or effectively.
4. Delayed response - could mean that teethed wheels are not synchronised or that one of them is damaged.
5. Knocking during driving - most often means you need to change bearings inside the gear box or that one of the gears has worn.
View View Larger Map